A new year, a fresh start and new goals. I feel so excited and inspired as I go through the plans and goals for the year ahead. I’m taking the time to reflect. I am thankful for the achievements that I made in the past year and also the things that I did not achieve. One thing I realized when creating last year’s list is that I did not take into consideration the amount of time that I would have to each goal and plan.
I ended up not being a volunteer in a domestic violence center for women.. My biggest wish for this was to connect with women who go through abusive marriages or relationship. I felt overwhelmed by always being on the go with a busy schedule. And not being able to take the time to shut down, sit and relax. So, the little amount of time I had between school and work was used to rest and recharge to avoid burnouts. Well, this year, I plan to approach things differently and take small steps to improve the things that affected my day-to-day life.
- Read more: It’s almost five years ago since I last sat down and read a book. I use a lot of time reading many articles but never a book. I’m spending 30 mins before bed time to read “A Return to Love” which I started a few days ago. It’s so refreshing and relaxing.
- Disconnecting and being present: Axel and I have been discussing this issue for a couple of months now. It’s crazy to say that, often, we are so distracted by the things that are happening around us, that we tend to forget that we need to disconnect and connect with the people who are close to us. We have started blocking ourselves from both our phones and the telly. To be more present as we use this time to talk about the things that we never get time to say to each other whenever we are busy. And, I appreciate it!
- Letting go of fear: I had an exam a few days ago, and one of the professors mentioned that people are afraid of change. They hold themselves back. And why is this? Are we scared of being seeing as failures if everything doesn’t go as planned? Is it fear of not knowing what to expect? There could be many reasons as to why we hold ourselves back and try to resist change. The truth is, we do at some point in life, fail. I don’t want to give up when I get to this point. I want to let go of fear and keep trying. We are only failures if we don’t try.
- Take time to breathe and Relax: I can’t emphasize enough how important it is to take time and relax. I’ve already mentioned above how busy I was last year. What I learned is that you can’t do all that you plan to do. And that’s okay because everything will be all right if we just take a moment to breathe and relax.
- Push away anxiety: I worry so much, and most times, it’s just pointless as it causes a lot of unnecessary stress and disturbs the peace of my mind. During such situations, I tend to have difficulties falling asleep in the night. I have been slowly working on how I control my thoughts. I’m excited to learn more about how to stop the “what if” kind of thoughts and how to push away anxiety.
I hope these new goals will help me get where I want to be by the end of the year. I’m also hoping that this year, will be a great year.
Thank you so much for reading.
Photography by me, Michelle